Mike and Paul are finally back in the driving seat and once again tearing down the Doom Highway with stops to discuss HeroesCon and the latest Doom Patrol TV casting rumours.
Let’s get Patrolling!
In this episode:
Our Week in Comics 1:40
Down on Derington Way 10:00
Doom Clock 14:22
Doomsplaining 17:44 Discussion of Doom Patrol Volume 3 issues 13 and 14 by John Arcudi, the late great Seth Fisher, Tan Eng Huat, Bob Lappan, David Stewart and Andy Helfer.
Mailbag O Doom 39:52 We discuss your answers to our last Question of the Week “Who’s your favourite comic character without an alternate identity?”
Get ready to spill the blood with Diabolu Frank and Chris Sheehan as they don their speedos to join Paul in the steaming bloodbath for discussion and scoring of the most 90’s of DC events, BLOODLINES from 1993.
Find out with them how eventy this one is, how rad the writing and art were and a very lengthy discussion of all the many, many characters that went on to impact the greater cultural consciousness (many parts of this sentence are untrue).
When the blood has been cleaned up, stroll on over to Comicosity.com to check the DCOCD ladder to see Bloodlines take its rightful on the list.
Send us a bloody email at DCOCDcast@gmail.com and a bloody Twitter message @DCOCDcast if you have the spinal fortitude. And thanks for bloody listening!
Paul is still stranded in the US after HeroesCon, so it's very timely that some listeners petitioned for the inclusion of the Wonder Woman story that starts with The Contest and ends with The Challenge of Artemis arc. Not only did they advocate for the 12 issue run to be included as part of the recently identified 'Replacement Trilogy', Dr Anj and Diabolu Frank with Martin Gray recorded and edited the whole episode giving Mike and Paul a deeply appreciated break.
The event ran from Wonder Woman 90 - 100, 0 in 1994. Created by William Messner-Loebs, Mike Deodata Jr, John Costanza, Patricia Milvihill, Paul Kupperberg and Brian Bolland.
Check out how the event compares on the DCOCD ladder at Comicosity.com
Get in touch and tell us your thoughts on Wonder Woman The Contest and Dc events in general at DCOCDcast@gmail.com, or on Twitter @DCOCDcast. Thanks for listening!
The shadow of the pod falls on Knightfall (plus we chuck in Knightquest and Knightsearch, because we're thorough like that) as Paul and special guest Chris Franklin break the back of this 1992-starting event. Along with semi-ocd Andy Leyland, the lads give a definitive assessment of the art, writing, impact, legacy and 'Eventiness' of this epic Bat-family crossover from Chuck Dixon, Doug Moench, Denny O'Neil, Kelly Jones, Joe Quesada, Graham Nowlan, Jim Balent, Jim Aparo, Scott Hanna, Mike Manley, Rick Burchett, Norm Breyfogle, Adrienne Roy, Tom Mandrake. Bob Wiacek, Josef Rubinstein, Dick Giordano, Vince Giarrano, barry Kitson, Eduardo Barreto and many, many more!
Check out how every event compares on the DCOCD Event ladder at Comicosity.com
Get in touch and tell us your thoughts on Knightsprawl and DC events in general at DCOCDCast@gmail.com , or on Twitter @DCOCDcast. Thanks for listening!
Mike and Paul are back to talk Doom to you. Latest Doom news, quick interviews with Keith Giffen AND Mark Waid (with thanks to Doug Zawisza and Diabulo Frank) before we get down to the serios biz of some more John Byrne Doom Patrol penance.
Let's get patrolling!
In this episode:
- Our week in comics - 1:50
- Down on Derington Way - 3:47
- Doom Clock - 5:35
- Doomsplaining - 7:50 - Discussion of Doom Patrol volume 4 issues 9 & 10 by John Byrne, Doug Hazlewood, Alex Bleyaert. Jared K Fletcher, Michael Siglain and Mike Carlin.
- Mailbag O Doom - 32:00 - Where we answer your questions about anything you could think of, but it mostly got bogged down with pony questions.
Mike and Paul get to one of the biggest to dos of the 90's, 1992's Death of Superman! But how will it fare in the rankings against other more typically structured events? When Doomsday comes for Superman what big deals does he bring? How 'eventy' is a knock-down drag-out super-brawl? Listen and find out as we cover this Super-title crossover from Dan Jurgens, Jerry Ordway, Louise Simonson, Roger Stern, Jon Bogdanove, Tom Grummett, Jackson Guice, Brett Breeding, Rick Burchett, Doug Hazlewood, Dennis Janke, Denis Rodier, John Costanza, Albert DeGuzman, Bill Oakley, Willie Schubert, Gene D'Angelo, Glenn Whitmore and Mike Carlin!
Get in touch and let us know your thoughts on this ep and the Death of Superman! You can send your comments to DCOCDcast@gmail.com or on twitter @DCOCDcast - and thanks for tuning in!
We're back with our JLMay 2018 Episode!
Mike and Paul are joined by accredited Supergirl stalker Dr Anj from the Supergirl Comic Box Commentary Blog to do JLMay for another (third) year. It's part, err 9? or something of 12 parts The Silver Age comic series from 2000.
Follow the JLMay crossover on these great podcasts below! Each show will cover another chapter of the Silver Age event! Use the hashtag #JLMay2018 when discussing the crossover on social media!
- Justice’s First Dawn – Silver Age #1 https://classicjla.podbean.com
- Relatively Geeky Presents – SA: Challengers of the Unknown http://relativelygeekypodcast.blogspot.com/
- Coffee & Comics – SA: Justice League of America http://coffeecomicsreading.blogspot.com
- Batgirl to Oracle – SA: Showcase http://thebatmanuniverse.net/category/podcast/bto/
- Super Mates – SA: Teen Titans http://fireandwaterpodcast.com
- Idol Head of Diabolu – SA: Dial “H” for Hero http://shoutengine.com/TheIdolHeadofDiaboluPodcast
- The Longbox Crusade –SA: The Flash http://www.longboxcrusade.com/
- The Lanterncast – SA: Green Lantern http://www.lanterncast.com
- Waiting for Doom – SA: Doom Patrol right here, right now!
- Comic Reflections – SA: The Brave & The Bold http://www.podcastgarden.com/podcast/comicreflections
- Chris & Reggie’s Cosmic Treadmill – Silver Age 80 Page Giant https://chrisandreggie.podbean.com/
In this episode...
- Our week in comics - 5:00
- Down on Derington Way - 7:50
- Doom Clock - 14:15
- Doomsplaining - 19:20 - Discussion of The Silver Age: Doom Patrol by Tom Peyer, Sergio Cariello, Rymond Kryssing, Kurt Hathaway, James Sinclair, Ramona Fradon, Kevin Nowlan and Dan Raspler!
- Mailbag O Doom - 35:45 - we go through your responses to the latest Question of the Week: Who's your favourite panel to panel visual storyteller in comics?
Paul is joined by special guest Shagg Matthews of the Fire and Water Podcast Network to discuss DC's event of 1992, Eclipso: The Darkness Within! How will the scope, big deals, legacy, and eventyness of this story compare against other events? The fight to save Earth from the 'eclipsed', heroes gone bad - and the vengeance demon Eclipso - was brought to us by the creative team of Keith Giffen, Robert Loren Fleming, Bart Sears, Randy Elliot, Mark Pennington, Raymond Kryssing, and Tom McCraw!
Get in touch and lets us know your thoughts on this ep and Eclipso! You can send your comments to DCOCDcast@gmail.com , or on Twitter @DCOCDcast - and thanks for tuning in!
IS THAT A NEW VOLUME 6 ISSUE I SEE BEFORE ME?? LET'S GET PATROLLING!
- Down on Derington Way - 9:45
- Doom Clock - 15:00
- Doomsplaining - 20:21 - It's here! The conclusion to the arc that leads into the event that's already concluded! It's Doom Patrol Volume 6 Issue 11, by Gerard Way, Nick Derington, Tamra Bonvillain, Tom Fowler, Todd Klein, Jaime S Rich and Molly Mahan!
- Mailbag O Doom - 43:35 - we go through your responses to the latest Question of the Week: What's your number 1 goal at a comic convention?